Monday, November 29, 2010

The FrankenMostro Project

The red monster has seen a lot of life. Track days, racing and more than a few wrecks on the race track only to be reborn as a SS.  I shoved the 01 motor into a 93 SS frame which was a much better set up for the race track.  Two years ago I had a guy here in Seattle rework the bike to give it more pep on the track. New suspension, extended the shock to increase the pitch, and new front forks off a 748 as well as some engine work that resulted in a few more horses.   Before I even raced that season I threw the thing down the track, during a practice session pushing it too hard on cold tires-dumb.  I was disgusted with myself because I had spent a shit load of money to get it track ready and it also shook me up a bit because it was the first time racing and crashing as a father.  Seeing those bikes dive past me while I am sitting on the track and all I could think was 'you have a daughter'.  So I rolled the bike into the garage and kept myself busy doing other stuff.  Well that was two, almost three years ago and now I am feeling the need for two wheels again.  I am not going to race and while I love track days what I need is something to run around town on.  So I am going to put the monster back on the street, most likely in a monster like configuration rather than the SS frame but what I really want to do is to build a Ducati chopper.  Maybe bobber, maybe extreme cafe racer I am not sure yet but this project is on.  Monster frame from ebay is on the way.  I also have an idea to try some struts from Biltwell Inc in place of the shock but I am also thinking of some sort of weld on rigid tail.  I am not sure how this is going to work and most of the Ducati choppers I have seen so far I don't like a whole lot.  This evening I replaced the plugs and the battery and got the bike running.  It seems to be running strong but I am not sure it is 100%.  I am so out of shape and stiff that I had a hard time putting my feet on the rear sets.  My hips are so stiff from sitting at a computer for 12 hours a day.  We will have to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment